Personalised 1-to-1 bike skills coaching for kids
The joy of two wheels when you know what you are doing can be immense and can plant the seed of a passion that will last your child for life! Bikes offer speed, excitement, challenge, reward, freedom and the valuable lessons in getting back up again after a fall. However, without the necessary skills it can be a far from enjoyable experience - for parent and child alike. Let me take that pain away from you!
I run Covid-19 secure 45-minute 1-to-1 sessions to help your child hone their bike skills. The cost is £18 for one person.
Areas covered include: the ready position, braking, mounting and dismounting the bike, gears, cornering, balance and coordination, climbing and descending.
I know various Kemsing-based public locations we can use. A parent/guardian should also be present for 1-to-1 sessions.
The first step is to get in touch via my Contact page. Then we can agree requirements and a suitable time. You can then book the session here. For each participant you will also need to complete a consent form. No form, no fun!
In order to keep riders, coaches and others safe, the sessions will run in a Covid-19 Secure manner, following guidance from the British Triathlon Federation.
Covid-19 guidance when attending session
We are living in strange times but I'm confident that all of the following won't stop the joy of two wheels and planting the seed of a passion that will last your children for life! Bikes offer speed, excitement, challenge, reward, freedom and the valuable lessons in getting back up again after a fall.
To keep everyone as safe as possible, please read and ensure the participant understands the following:
- Participants should not leave home to participate in the sessions if they, or someone they live with, has any of the following: high temperature, a new continuous cough, a loss of or change to your sense of smell or taste.
- It is the participant's responsibility to be sufficiently fit and healthy to participate in bike activities.
- Participants should have washed bike gloves for each season and wash their riding kit after each session.
- The sharing of equipment (bikes, helmets, water bottles, snacks, etc.) must be avoided.
- Participants must remain socially distanced throughout the sessions. Keep at least 2 metres apart from other people whenever possible whilst riding - be respectful and allow other riders and pedestrians to pass at a safe distance where necessary.
- Social distancing on arrival/leaving and post-session should be adhered to. Participants should arrive changed and ready to ride. When arriving the participants will be allocated a cone to stand by for a briefing and bike and helmet check before we start.
- I will keep a temporary record of all participants at every session delivered for 21 days to assist with requests for data to support the government's test and trace initiative.
- Participants need to have a bike helmet (that fits).
- Participants need to have a road-worthy bike (with bar end plugs, working brakes, pumped up tyres and working chain and gears). It is the parent's/guardian's responsibility to ensure that his/her child's bike is in a safe condition to ride.
Personalised 1-to-1 triathlon training programmes
I am passionate about working with athletes of all standards to help them achieve their swim-bike-run goals. Regardless of where you live, I am able to provide you with the coaching and support you need to help achieve your goals. I use evidence-based training science to provide bespoke individualised training programmes.
My specialisms are off-road triathlon and duathlon and sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. I have won multiple World, European and National age group titles across triathlon and duathlon (both road and off-road).
I also have a strong sport science background (BSc in sport science degree, a PhD in sport psychology and a decade working as a sport scientist with England Netball).
I coach a maximum of 4 athletes.
- The aim is to work collaboratively with you to set appropriate goals aligned with your profile. The package includes:
- An initial needs analysis questionnaire and consultation
- A provisional outline annual training plan based on the four bedrocks of training: overload, specificity, reversibility and individuality
- A weekly review of training (via Garmin, Strava or Training Peaks)
- A weekly phone call (~30 minutes) to provide feedback on training and agree the next week's training
- Provision of individual session plans
- Regular and frequent monitoring of appropriate markers
- Unlimited email and text support - response within 24 hours.
- £40 one-off set up fee
- £100 per month payable in advance. (£80 per month if not setting swim training sessions).
The first step is to get in touch via my Contact page.
Then, I have a comprehensive analysis for you to complete, followed by a meeting (ideally face-to-face if location enables). My goal is to learn what motivates you, your strengths and weaknesses and what is going on in the non-triathlon parts of your life. I gather a lot of information before we set up a plan. I don't believe in "off the shelf plans."
Thereafter, there is constant two-way monitoring, feedback and regular communication (weekly catch up, email, messaging), giving you the opportunity to provide on-going input to help deliver the programme that is specific to your enjoyment and development.
Come race day we are prepared...we've controlled the controllables.
Qualifications and training
- British Triathlon Federation Level 2 Diploma triathlon coach
- Sports first aid trained
- Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checked
- Insured through the British Triathlon Federation
- Attended the sports coach UK Safeguarding and Protecting Children workshop
- Attended the NSPCC Designated Safeguarding Officer course
- BSc in sport science
- PhD in sport psychology
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Awarded Fellowship of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
Thanks Claire, X enjoyed her birthday lesson!
You were brilliant with X and he progressed so much in one lesson. Really looking forward to continuing next week.
Claire has been brilliant with X. I'd highly recommend her lovely lessons.
My two loved developing their skills further. I'd definitely recommend Claire for competent cyclists looking to improve!
Claire you have done an amazing job with so many of the children I know.
Fantastic coaching! Thanks so much. You have a calm and laid-back approach making the children feel comfortable and wanting to do more. Always pushing themselves rather than us trying to get them to do more. X has benefitted so much.
X loved his time with you and gained lots of confidence.